Here is a resource page that you can always come to for local outdoor information. A collection of recommended guidebooks, safety info, helpful websites, etc. Enjoy!
Outdoor Safety & Etiquette
Safety first! Check out these pages related to hiking safety and ethics:
- General Hiking Safety Info and Tips – How to prepare for your trip & ‘The Essentials’.
- Wildlife Safety – How to prevent and defend against wildlife attacks (bears, cougars & ticks).
- Winter & Avalanche Safety. – Staying safe in the snow.
- Trail Etiquette – How to be a courteous hiker and protect the environment.
More Helpful Pages On Outdoor Vancouver
- Hiking Trail Guides – Our growing collection of hiking trail guides.
- Outdoor Clubs – A list of local hiking and outdoor recreation clubs.
- Fastest Known Times – A collection of local ‘FKTs’ for various trails.
- Outdoor Vancouver Store – Our online shop for clothing and local books.
- Outdoor Stores – A list of local outdoor retailers around Vancouver.
- Tales from the Outdoors – Interviews with awesome local athletes.
- A Starter’s Guide to Hiking around Vancouver – Our free eBook.
- Outdoor Resources – A list of helpful books, links and trip planning resources.
- How to Support and Follow Outdoor Vancouver – Other places to find OV
A Starter’s Guide to Hiking in Vancouver.
- Guides for 10 amazing hikes near Vancouver
- Hiking safety and trail etiquette
- Resources, hiking gear overview, and more!
Resources To Help You Prepare For Your Next Hike
Finding out if a particular trail is snow-free, or what shape it may be in, seems to be the holy grail of hiking in Vancouver. There’s seldom a single source of information that will give you a definitive answer. To help, below is a compiled list of resources you can use to gather more intel about your hike.
Websites for Trail Conditions
- B.C. Hydro Recreation Areas – For parks like Buntzen Lake
- B.C. Parks – Check the page for the park you are heading to for current conditions and notices.
- ClubTread – A popular outdoors forum.
- Live Trails – A noticeboard for trails.
- Metro Vancouver Regional Parks – Current advisories are posted for all regional parks.
- Outdoor Vancouver – Check the comments section for the hike you are doing.
- Vancouver Trails – Check the comments section.
- Wanderung Hiking Group – A collection of trip reports
You can do a search for the hashtag or geotag of the location on Instagram, and look at some of the recent pictures. People can post old photos, so make sure the photos are current. You can comment on public photos and ask the poster if their photo is recent and how the conditions are.
There are also several hiking groups on Facebook (a few linked below) where people share updates on current trail conditions.
Other trip planning links
- All of the trip planning links you will ever need – This post by Ashika Parsad lives up to its name. It has the resources above plus many, many more.
- BC AdventureSmart Trip Planner – A tool to help plan your trip and keep you safe.
- Chilliwack BC Hiking Club – Facebook Group
- CS Hiking – Facebook Group
- iHike Vancouver – Facebook Group
- Vancouver Hiking Reddit – Vancouver hiking subReddit
- Wanderung Outdoor Rec Society – Facebook Group for local hiking club
Online Canadian Outdoor Gear Retailers
If you’re looking for outdoor gear, there are a number of great online retailers in Canada. Most provide free shipping with a minimum purchase. We have compiled a few trusted online retailers below.
- Amazon – Amazon has a lot of great hiking and camping products. We’ve compiled an Outdoor Vancouver store on Amazon of our favorite gear available there.
- Altitude Sports. Free Shipping On Orders Over $49.99. Hassle-free returns.
- Arc’teryx – Arc’teryx is a technical high-performance outerwear and equipment company. Free shipping on all orders.
- Backroad Mapbooks. Backroad Mapbooks is Canada’s top-selling outdoor recreation guidebook series. Get free standard shipping on all GPS maps with code BRMBFREESHIP.
- Columbia Sportswear Canada. Columbia has a great reputation for winter coats and gear. Shipping is a flat $7 within Canada.
- Epic Water Filters. Water filtration for your next outdoor adventure (or at home). Free shipping in Canada.
- Helly Hansen. Free shipping on orders over $100.
- Hillsound Equipment. Canadian designer of hiking crampons for safe travel on ice + snow, waterproof gaiters and ultra lightweight seats. All online orders greater than or equal to $49.00 are eligible for free standard shipping.
- Hurley. Born from water, Hurley was founded in Huntington Beach in 1999 on the principle of empowering and fueling the voice of the next generation.
- Keen Footwear. Durable footwear built for the outdoors. Free shipping.
- The Last Hunt. TheLastHunt.com is Canada’s only website uniquely dedicated to discount outdoor clothing and equipment.
- Mountain Equipment Co-op. MEC is a retail co-op that sells exclusively to members. Free shipping on orders over $50.
- Mountain Hardwear. Mountain Hardwear is an industry leader in premium outdoor apparel, equipment, and accessories. Shipping is a flat $7 within Canada.
- Mountain Wearhouse. Mountain Warehouse is a British outdoor retailer selling equipment for hiking, camping, skiing, cycling, running and fitness. Free shipping over $99
- Patagonia. Patagonia is a designer of outdoor clothing and gear for the silent sports: climbing, surfing, skiing and snowboarding, fly fishing, and trail running.
- prAna. Yoga clothing for positive change. Free shipping on all orders.
- Running Room. The Running Room is truly a store for runners by runners. Free Curbside Pick-up or Free Economy Ground Shipping on orders $50+
- Salomon Canada. Snowboarding, trail running and hiking clothes & shoes.
- STORMTECH Performance Apparel. Highly technical outdoor apparel and accessories for men, women and children. Flat $15 shipping.
- Solo Stove. We design simple, ingenious outdoor products to help you create good moments that become lasting memories. Free standard shipping and returns on all orders in Canada.
- Sorel Footwear. $7 flat rate shipping on premium footwear.
- Yeti Canada. In 2006, YETI Coolers was founded with a simple mission: build the cooler you’d use every day if it existed. YETI offers free Ground shipping on qualified orders.
More Helpful Links And Websites
- AdventureSmart – Outdoor safety information.
- Bivouac – Comprehensive website for Canadian Mountaineering info.
- Coquitlam Search & Rescue
- Discover Vancouver Island – Great resource for outdoor activities on Van Isle.
- Happiest Outdoors – Great local outdoors blog.
- Hiking for the Scaredy Cat – Hiking trails on our local mountains, safety tips, and more.
- North Shore Search & Rescue
- Oplopanax Horridus – Great blog by local SAR manager.
- Outdoor Vancouver’s Recommended Hiking Gear – An Amazon list of great hiking and camping products.
- Parkbus – Parkbus connects city dwellers with nature through accessible transportation options.
- Tofino Trails – Online trail guides.
- Tofino BC Guide: Hiking Trails, Beaches, Fishing, Kayaking and more.
- Vancouver Trails – Online trail guides.
- Wanderung – Newsletter callout community.
- Yervana – Personalized outdoor adventures with knowledgeable locals.
Monthly OV Newsletter Archive
Hiking Vancouver: Exploring Southwest British Columbia’s Most Beautiful Trails
Want all 120+ of Outdoor Vancouver’s hiking guides in one eBook? From the classics like The Chief and Black Tusk to the hidden gems, they’re all here in over 500 pages!
Hiking Vancouver is your guide to the best hikes in southwest British Columbia.
Only $8.99 (or included with OV Patron membership)