Here is a resource page that you can always come to for local outdoor information. A collection of recommended guidebooks, safety info, helpful websites, etc. I’ll add to it as I find more. Enjoy!
Outdoor Safety & Etiquette
Safety first! Check out these pages related to hiking safety and ethics:
- General Safety Guidelines – How to prepare for your trip & ‘The Ten Essentials’.
- Wildlife Safety – How to prevent and defend against wildlife attacks (bears & cougars).
- Winter & Avalanche Safety. – Staying safe in the snow.
- Trail Etiquette – How to be a courteous hiker.
Pages On This Website
- Hiking Trail Guides – Our growing collection of hiking trail guides.
- Hiking Safety – A collection of hiking safety info.
- Events Calendar – Upcoming local running and outdoors events.
- Outdoor Clubs – A list of local hiking and outdoor recreation clubs.
- Fastest Known Times – A collection of local ‘FKTs’ for various trails.
- Outdoor Vancouver Store – Our online shop for clothing and local books.
- Tales from the Outdoors – Interviews with awesome local athletes
- How to Support and Follow Outdoor Vancouver – Other places to find OV
Resources To Help You Prepare For Your Next Hike
Finding out if a particular trail is snow-free, or what shape it may be in, seems to be the holy grail of hiking in Vancouver. There’s seldom a single source of information that will give you a definitive answer. To help, below is a compiled list of resources you can use to gather more intel about your hike.
Websites for Trail Conditions
- B.C. Hydro Recreation Areas – For parks like Buntzen Lake
- B.C. Parks – Check the page for the park you are heading to for current conditions and notices.
- ClubTread – A popular outdoors forum.
- Live Trails – A noticeboard for trails.
- Metro Vancouver Regional Parks – Current advisories are posted for all regional parks.
- Outdoor Vancouver – Check the comments section for the hike you are doing.
- Vancouver Trails – Check the comments section.
- Wanderung Hiking Group – A collection of trip reports
You can do a search for the hashtag or geotag of the location on Instagram, and look at some of the recent pictures. People can post old photos, so make sure the photos are current. You can comment on public photos and ask the poster if their photo is recent and how the conditions are.
There are also several hiking groups on Facebook (a few linked below) where people share updates on current trail conditions.
Other trip planning links
- All of the trip planning links you will ever need – This post by Ashika Parsad lives up to its name. It has the resources above plus many, many more.
- Chilliwack BC Hiking Club – Facebook Group
- CS Hiking – Facebook Group
- iHike Vancouver – Facebook Group
- Vancouver Hiking Reddit – Vancouver hiking subReddit
- Wanderung Outdoor Rec Society – Facebook Group for local hiking club
More Helpful Links And Websites
- Adventure Smart – Outdoor safety information.
- Bivouac – Comprehensive website for Canadian Mountaineering info.
- Coquitlam Search & Rescue
- Discover Vancouver Island – Great resource for outdoor activities on Van Isle.
- Happiest Outdoors – Great local outdoors blog
- Hiking for the Scaredy Cat – Hiking trails on our local mountains, safety tips, and more.
- North Shore Search & Rescue
- Oplopanax Horridus – Great blog by local SAR manager.
- Outdoor Explore – offers guided wilderness adventures and trekking vacations in B.C.
- Outtt – Mobile app to take hiking guides offline.
- Parkbus – Parkbus connects city dwellers with nature through accessible transportation options.
- Tofino Trails – Online trail guides.
- Tofino BC Guide: Hiking Trails, Beaches, Fishing, Kayaking and more.
- Vancouver Trails – Online trail guides.
- Wanderung – Newsletter callout community.
- Yervana – Personalized outdoor adventures with knowledgeable locals.
Monthly OV Newsletter Archive
- February 2013 – Edition #1
- March 2013 – New Interview Series
- April 2013 – Outdoor Clubs
- May 2013 – The Hiking Season is Upon Us
- June 2013 – The State of Cycling in Vancouver
- July 2013 – The Best Hikes near Vancouver
- August 2013 – Happiness is Found Outdoors
- September 2013 – The Best Hikes for the Fall
- October 2013 – Bike-Commuting in the Cold
- November 2013 – The Ski and Board Season is Here!
- December 2013 – Happy New Year!
- January 2014 – Remembering Tim Jones
- February 2014 – Memory Bias and the Outdoors
- March 2014 – The Best Apps for Exploring the Outdoors
- April 2014 – The Future of B.C. Parks?
- May 2014 – It’s Hiking Season!
- June 2014 – Hiking the New Sea to Sky Gondola
- July 2014 – Day Hikes Guide for Beginners
- August 2014 – 5 Vancouver Hikes to Fall in Love With
- September 2014 – Best Spots to See the 2014 Salmon Run
- October 2014 – Hiking Goat Mountain
- November 2014 – Everything you need to know for ski season
- December 2014 – Interview with Ski Mountaineer Eric Carter
- January 2015 – A Hiking Guide to Kennedy Falls and Big Cedar Trail
- February 2015 – A Hiking Guide to Opal Cone
- March 2015 – Hiking Black Mountain
- April 2015 – Hiking South Needle
- May 2015 – Hiking Swan Falls
- June 2015 – Campfire Bans
- July 2015 – Hiking Mount Fromme
- August 2015 – Hiking Garibaldi Lake
- September 2015 – Hiking Tunnel Bluffs
- October 2015 – Busy Month for Search and Rescue
- November 2015 – Black Friday Gear Deals
- December 2015 – Closing out 2015
- January 2016 – Winter Hiking Hollyburn Mountain
- February 2016 – Hiking Brandywine Falls
- March 2016 – Hiking Cypress Falls
- April 2016 – Hiking High Knoll
- May 2016 – The Goldstream Trestle
- June 2016 – 14 Incredible Overnight Hikes around Vancouver
- July 2016 – 5 Amazing Hikes for August
- August 2016 – Hiking Bowen Island
- September 2016 – Great Hikes for Fall
- October 2016 – Al’s Habrich Ridge & Waterfall Hikes
- November 2016 – Mystery Lake Hike and B.C. Parks Changes
- December 2016 – Cascade Falls Hike
- January 2017 – Yeo Point Hike
- February 2017 – Watersprite Lake – A Brand New Trail
- March 2017 – The 14 Best Spring Hikes
- April 2017 – Cliff Falls Hike
- May 2017 – 16 Stunning Waterfalls Around Vancouver
- June 2017 – The Great Hikes of Vancouver
- July 2017 – Hiking Crooked Falls
- August 2017 – 14 Epic Late Summer Hikes
- September 2017 – Petgill Lake and Bridal Veil Falls
- October 2017 – Hiking Elk Mountain
- November 2017 – Hike to Mount Thurston in Chilliwack
- December 2017 – Ladner Creek Trestle and a Close to the Year
- January 2018 – The West Coast Trail
- February 2018 – Snowshoe Accidents and Widgeon Falls
- March 2018 – Spring Hikes Around Vancouver
- April 2018 – Brand New North Shore Tees!
- May 2018 – Hiking Safety and Etiquette
- June 2018 – Hiking the Othello Tunnels
- July 2018 – The Mount Hope Lookout Trail
- August 2018 – Mount Elphinstone Summit
- September 2018 – Hiking the Iconic Lions
- October 2018 – The Elk Falls Suspension Bridge
- November 2018 – Be More Pacific
- December 2018 – Hiking Pender Hill