Here is a resource page that you can always come to for local outdoor information. A collection of recommended guidebooks, safety info, helpful websites, etc. I’ll add to it as I find more. Enjoy!
Safety first! Check out these three pages related to safety:
- General Safety Guidelines – How to prepare for your trip & ‘The Ten Essentials’.
- Wildlife Safety – How to prevent and defend against wildlife attacks (bears & cougars).
- Winter & Avalanche Safety. – Staying safe in the snow.
Most Popular Posts, Reviews, and Hiking Trail Guides
- Outdoor Clubs – A collection of local clubs you can join
- Vancouver’s Fastest Known Times – A list of local trail FKTs
- Hiking Trail: Crown Mountain
- Hiking Trail: Howe Sound Crest Trail
- Hiking Trail: Garibaldi Lake
- Winter Trail: Elfin Lakes
- Featured Campsite: Alice Lake Provincial Parks
- Featured Campsite: Porteau Cove
- Kayake Route: The Indian Arm
- Hiking in Vancouver – the Ultimate Guide
- Tales from the Outdoors – Interviews with awesome local athletes
- How to Support and Follow Outdoor Vancouver – Other places to find OV
- The Great Hikes of Vancouver eBook – Karl Woll (My eBook)
- Best Hikes and Walks of Southwestern BC – Dawn Hanna
- 103 Hikes in Southwestern BC – Jack Bryceland and Mary & David Macaree
- 109 Walks In BC’s Lower Mainland – Mary & David Macaree
- Easy Cycling Around Vancouver: Fun Day Trips for All Ages – Jean Cousins
- Vancouver Trail Running – Rich Wheater
- 52 Best Day Trips from Vancouver – Jack Christie
- Trees & Shrubs of British Columbia – Christopher Brayshaw
- Plants of Coastal British Columbia – Andy MacKinnon
- Birds of British Columbia – R. Wayne Campbell
- Outdoor Vancouver Bookstore – A collection of local outdoor books.
Helpful Links and Websites
- Adventure Smart – Outdoor safety information
- B.C. Parks – Official government site
- Bivouac – Comprehensive website for Canadian Mountaineering info
- Clubtread – Online community for trip reports
- Coquitlam Search & Rescue
- Cycling BC
- Discover Vancouver Island – Great resource for outdoor activities on Van Isle.
- Go Gear – Canadian discount online retailer of outdoor gear
- Hiking for the Scaredy Cat – Hiking trails on our local mountains, safety tips, and more.
- Live Trails – User updated trail conditions
- Live Out There – Great deals on outdoor gear with free shipping in Canada.
- North Shore Search & Rescue
- Oplopanax Horridus – Great blog by local SAR manager
- Outdoor Clubs – A directory of local clubs
- Pacer Films – Cool local outdoor short films
- Pure Outside – Vancouver Island-focused outdoors blog
- Sea Kayak Assoc. of BC
- Tofino Trails – Online trail guides
- Tofino BC Guide: Hiking Trails, Beaches, Fishing, Kayaking and more.
- Trail Hunger – Trail guides and GPS info
- Vancouver Trails – Online trail guides
- Wanderung – Newsletter callout community
- February 2013 – Edition #1
- March 2013 – New Interview Series
- April 2013 – Outdoor Clubs
- May 2013 – The Hiking Season is Upon Us
- June 2013 – The State of Cycling in Vancouver
- July 2013 – The Best Hikes near Vancouver
- August 2013 – Happiness is Found Outdoors
- September 2013 – The Best Hikes for the Fall
- October 2013 – Bike-Commuting in the Cold
- November 2013 – The Ski and Board Season is Here!
- December 2013 – Happy New Year!
- January 2014 – Remembering Tim Jones
- February 2014 – Memory Bias and the Outdoors
- March 2014 – The Best Apps for Exploring the Outdoors
- April 2014 – The Future of B.C. Parks?
- May 2014 – It’s Hiking Season!
- June 2014 – Hiking the New Sea to Sky Gondola
- July 2014 – Day Hikes Guide for Beginners
- August 2014 – 5 Vancouver Hikes to Fall in Love With
- September 2014 – Best Spots to See the 2014 Salmon Run
- October 2014 – Hiking Goat Mountain
- November 2014 – Everything you need to know for ski season
- December 2014 – Interview with Ski Mountaineer Eric Carter
- January 2015 – A Hiking Guide to Kennedy Falls and Big Cedar Trail
- February 2015 – A Hiking Guide to Opal Cone
- March 2015 – Hiking Black Mountain
- April 2015 – Hiking South Needle
- May 2015 – Hiking Swan Falls
- June 2015 – Campfire Bans
- July 2015 – Hiking Mount Fromme
- August 2015 – Hiking Garibaldi Lake
- September 2015 – Hiking Tunnel Bluffs
- October 2015 – Busy Month for Search and Rescue
- November 2015 – Black Friday Gear Deals
- December 2015 – Closing out 2015
- January 2016 – Winter Hiking Hollyburn Mountain
- February 2016 – Hiking Brandywine Falls
- March 2016 – Hiking Cypress Falls
- April 2016 – Hiking High Knoll
- May 2016 – The Goldstream Trestle
- June 2016 – 14 Incredible Overnight Hikes around Vancouver
- July 2016 – 5 Amazing Hikes for August
- August 2016 – Hiking Bowen Island
- September 2016 – Great Hikes for Fall