The summer is over and the trails are turning into mud (or snow). But that doesn’t mean the fun is over. There were plenty of great races in September, with more on the schedule for October. The big ultra for the month was Meet your Maker back on Sep 1, and just last weekend marked the final 5 Peaks race for the season at Buntzen Lake. The Rubble Creek Classic was also postponed until Oct 6, due to snow.
Let’s get to it:
News and Articles from the month:
- A First-Timer’s Guide to Whistler Trail Running
- Husband/Wife Duo Win Salomon Meet Your Maker 50
- Salomon Sample Sale – Sept 20/21 – North Van
September Race Results:
- Meet your Maker – September 1, Whistler. 50m. (RESULTS)
- Mountain Highway Madness (Fall) -September 8, North Vancouver. 15km laps – as long as you can last. (RESULTS)
- Grouse Grind Challenge – Sep 15, North Vancouver. 2.9km. (RESULTS)
- Frosty Mountain Trail Race – September 21, Manning Park. 50km/ 27km / 13km. (RESULTS)
- 5 Peaks, Buntzen Lake – September 28. 10km / 15km. (RESULTS)
- Muthas Nature Trail Run – September 29. 50km / 25km / 10km. (RESULTS)
Meet your Maker Race Reports
I ran Meet your Maker this year as my first 50miler. It was a rude wake-up call. I learned a lot about the training that is needed to run well at a race of this distance. I also learned A LOT about pacing. But it was a gorgeous day in Whistler spent with some great people. The race was a lot of fun and I’ll be back next year.
On the competitive side, Jakub Sumbera of Invemere emerged the winner coming in at 7:38:19, edging Adam Campbell by 8 minutes. Jacob made a big splash at this race and it will be great to see his name at other ultra events. In the women’s race it was Nadia Fry, also of Invemere, winning with a time of 9:00:38. Both winning times were course records.
Here’s a recap of the reports I could find:
- James Marshall: Guest Post – James Meets his Maker – MYM 50 Miler – 2013
- Jeff Pelletier: Meet Your Maker Relay Race Report
- Tom Craik: I Met MY Maker on September 1st
- Robert Brodey: Whistler’s Meet Your Maker 82km Trail Ultra– And Why I think I Made It
- Connor Meakin: Almost Broken – Meet Your Maker Recap
- Joshua Weiss: Meet Your Maker 50mi 2013: My first DNF.
Races in October!
- Rubble Creek Classic – Oct 6, Squamish. 24km
- Whistler 50 Relay and Ultra – Oct 19, Whistler. 50m.
- Around the Lake Give’r Take 30 – Oct 19, Cultus Lake. 30km Solo or relay.
- Get your Fat Ass off the Couch – Oct 20, North Vancouver. 22.5km or 11.5km.
- Hallow’s Eve Trail Race – Oct 27, North Vancouver. Half Marathon or 10km.
Trail Video(s) of the Month:
“On September 1st, 2013, Toronto-based writer and photographer, Robert J. Brodey, strapped on a GoPro camera and tackled his first ultramarathon through Whistler BC’s rugged landscape, including 3700 metres of climbs and descents. Read more about it on his blog, Daddy-on-the-Move at www.vicarious-traveller.com.”
Renowned triathlon coach Joel Friel has an interesting article this month, looking at the effect age has on performance.
“Of course, we are all going to have reduced athletic performance in endurance sports as we age. It’s inevitable. But we really don’t expect to see it happen – ever. And when it does, as I seem to be experiencing this year, it’s a bit frightening.
How much of a change should we expect? And when?”
Happy trails until next month!
Tags: Trail Running