The trail running season kicked into high-gear in May with 8 races taking place, including the first in the 5 Peaks series, the ever-popular Iron Knee, and the brand new Buckin’ Hell. I was at 5 Peaks Golden Ears and Buckin’ Hell and they were both fantastic races. I’ve compiled a list of race reports for 5 Peaks Golden Ears, and results for all the other races are listed below as well.
News and Articles from the month:
- Mountain Madness takes over Run the North Shore Series.
- Adam Campbell Transvuclania Interview – Skeletons in their closets: Life at the fast-end of the Arc’teryx Skyrunning team.
- What to pack for your first ultra marathon...
- Salomon West Vancouver Trail Running Shop Team Announced (A fine group of people!)
- The definitive collection of ultrarunning films
- The road less travelled: Spectacular images capture super-fit runners in some of the world’s most unforgiving terrains
Race Results from May:
- North Shore Enduro – May 4, North Vancouver. 7.6km Loop course lasting up to 6 hours. (RESULTS)
- 5 Peaks Golden Ears – May 11, Maple Ridge. 8.8km or 14km. (RESULTS)
- PIH Island Runner Elk/Beaver Ultra Run/Walk, May 11, Victoria. 100km, 50m, 50km and marathon options. (RESULTS)
- Mud Run Ride, May 11, Campbell River. 10km trail run/ mountain bike. (RESULTS)
- Buckin’ Hell, May 18, North Vancouver. Solo 15km and 7.5km and relay options. (RESULTS)
- Loop the Lakes, May 25, Squamish. 8km, 15km, 21km options. (RESULTS)
- Iron Knee, May 26, North Vancouver. 25km. (RESULTS)
- Tender Knee, May 26, North Vancouver. 10km. (RESULTS)
5 Peaks – Golden Ears Race Reports
- Greg Burnham: Race Report – @5Peaksbc Golden Ears
- Mike Murphy: 5 Peaks and Mother Nature
- Solana Klassen: 5 Peaks – Golden Ears = 14km Trail Race – Race Recap
- James Wanless: My funky foot part 3; becoming a runner again
- Shannon Pennway: 5 Peaks Golden Ears
- Jeremy Walsh: A Week in BC
- Gord: 5 Peaks Golden Ears 8.8km
- Karl Woll: 5 Peaks Golden Ears and Buckin’ Hell
- Rob Shaer: Recent Work – 5 Peaks Trail Run at Golden Ears (race photographer)
Races coming up in June!
Vancouver 100 – June 1, North Vancouver. 100km
5 Peaks Alice Lakes – June 8, Squamish. 11km Enduro, 6.9km Sport.
Vancouver Skyline X-country Trail Challenge – June 8, North Van. 25K “Up”, 25K “Down”, 50K “Up and Down” and “Roll Your Own” custom distance
Seek the Peak – June 15, North Vancouver. 16km
Survival of the Fittest – June 16, Squamish – 13k and 18km options
Comfortably Numb – June 23, Whistler. 25km
Tenderfoot Boogie – June 29, Squamish. 29km, 50km and 50 miles options
Trail Video of the Month:
The following video is a great behind-the-scenes look at doing a trail running photo shoot. The video features Chris Thorn photographing Gemma Slaughter on the trails of North Vancouver.
“Moonrider Productions sails north to The Shore to catch up with Chris Thorn and lend a hand for his Trail Running Series featuring Gemma Slaughter. Lets hit the dirt!”
Tags: Trail Running