I thought I’d introduce a new monthly segment to the blog, focusing on trail running. The plan is to do a recap of the races that occured during the month, post race reports, and look ahead to the next’s month races. All with sprinkling in some other trail running info and videos. Sound good?
In April, the big local trail event was the Diez Vista 50km. The men’s race was won by, guess who, Gary Robbins who beat his own course record coming in at a time of 4:05. The women’s race was won by another familiar face, Suzanne Evans who had won the race 6 times now and set the course record in 2007. Her time this year was 5:04.
I won’t go into the details too much, as Trailrunner.ca has a nice summary of the race here.
Here are the race reports I was able to find off teh Googles. (Let me know if I missed any and I’ll gladly add!)
- Carolyn King: Go Baggers! and the Mileage Increases with the Diez Vista.
- Nicola Gildersleeve: Diez Vista 50km Race Report
- Alice L: Diez Vista: My journey to completing my first ultra-marathon
- Josh: Diez Vista 50k 2013
- Solana Klassen: Saturday Adventure – Diez Vistas
- Stacey Cleveland: Diez Vista 50km Race Report
- Rene Unser: Diez Vista 50k Race Report
And speaking of Gary Robbins, he was over in Japan last week running Ultra Trail Mt. Fuji and placed a remarkable 4th overall in a competitive field in a time of 19:50:13. It was great seeing the stream of tweets as the local trail runners were following a close race throughout the day and cheering Gary on. iRunFar has a nice recap of the race.
Race in May!
- North Shore Enduro – May 4, North Vancouver. 7.6km Loop course lasting up to 6 hours.
- 5 Peaks Golden Ears – May 11, Maple Ridge. 8.8km or 14km.
- PIH Island Runner Elk/Beaver Ultra Run/Walk, May 11, Victoria. 100km, 50m, 50km and marathon options.
- Mud Run Ride, May 11, Campbell River. 10km trail run/ mountain bike.
- Buckin’ Hell, May 18, North Vancouver. Solo 15km and 7.5km and relay options.
- Loop the Lakes, May 25, Squamish. 8km, 15km, 21km options.
- Iron Knee, May 26, North Vancouver. 25km.
- Tender Knee, May 26, North Vancouver. 10km.
And I know these videos are played out, but I saw this over on the Knee Knacker Facebook page and thought it was pretty funny.
Sh*t Ultra Runners Say:
Latest posts by Karl W (see all)
- Hiking Goat Mountain and Goat Ridge in North Vancouver - October 27, 2014
- Fjallraven’s Day Hikes Guide for Beginners - July 23, 2014
- Vancouver’s Fastest Known Times - July 6, 2014
Tags: Trail Running